Ghost Pines Cabernet Sauvignon

Ghost Pines Cabernet SauvignonGhost Pines Cabernet Sauvignon comes from Napa Valley, California, USA.

According to the bottle, the grapes for this wine come from two different counties.  The first is Sonoma, where 65% of the fruit is sourced.  The second is Napa, where the remaining 35% is sourced.

Though primarily a Cab, Ghost Pines Cabernet Sauvignon is actually a blend of 92% Cabernet Sauvignon, 4% Merlot, 2% Petite Sirah and 2% Cabernet Franc, per the tasting notes.

Ghost Pines Cabernet Sauvignon Review

For this review I tasted the 2012 vintage of this wine with the help of my good friend, “Big Al.”


In the glass, this wine was burgundy in color.  It was quite dark and little to no light shone through.

It was a thick appearing wine that developed few legs, but those that appeared were heavy and slow to fall.


When Big Al opened the wine and poured our glasses, I couldn’t help but notice the dark and lofty aroma of this wine.  The aroma remained noticeable from afar even minutes after pouring.

We described the nose as “sweet currant with a pleasant alcohol burn.”  We also both noticed, amazingly, an initial hint of maple.  That was a first for both of us.  However, that was quickly replaced by the sweet currant along with other red and blue fruit aromas.

Ghost Pines Cabernet Sauvignon alcohol content 13.9% by volume, according to the bottle.


A difference of opinion arose between us and the wine bottle’s label.  Big Al got a hint of maple on the first sip, but the label suggested rich roasted vanilla.  In general, it was a flavor that had a slight caramelized tone to it.  I noticed it too.  So, we’re sticking to our guns and calling it maple.

He said it was underneath the main flavors as just a subtle sweetness.

In addition, I noted flavors of black raspberry and pomegranate which reminded me of Valdiguie.

Mouthfeel and Tannins

Mouthfeel was luxurious and milky.

In terms of the tannins, we again had a disagreement with the label.  The label said tannins were firm, however we found them to be round and supple.


We determined the finish to be long, lingering and satisfying.

It was first carried by the wine’s flavors, but after about seven seconds the “finish trajectory” was carried by the tannins.  The total finish trajectory was quite long, coming in at fifteen seconds.

Overall Opinion

We both really loved Ghost Pines Cabernet Sauvignon.

The best quote of the night came from Big Al.  He said “I wouldn’t bother pairing this with anything, it is a feast for the soul all by itself.”

Enough said…  Recommend!

Ghost Pines Cabernet Sauvignon price $17.99.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *